THE HISTORY OF GPO FEDERAL CREDIT UNION
Back in 1931 when postal employees in Utica needed a place to bank, they didn’t have many options. The Great Depression was paralyzing the country. Banks weren’t always the safest option. So, a group of forward-thinking postal employees got together and started the Utica Postal Credit Union.
The credit union originally served only the postal workers based in the Federal Building in Utica. As time went by, other Federal employees wanted to take advantage of the financial services offered by the credit union. By 1967, membership topped 350 and the credit union was staffed by volunteers.
The credit union’s field of membership was constantly changing as more employers opted to offer credit union membership to their workforce. In 1984, to better reflect a changing membership, the credit union’s name was changed to GPO, an acronym for “Government, Postal and Occupational.” Today, we like to think that our name stands for the “Great People Organization,” because our more than 70 dedicated staff members are always eager to help.
Today, GPO is proud to be one of the area’s largest credit unions, serving more than 30,000 members from Oneida, Herkimer, Madison counties and beyond. While many individuals have played a key role in our growth, it truly is our members that have been the key to our success by repeatedly using the credit union’s products and services and referring their family, friends, co-workers and neighbors.
GPO’s mission statement is “Our Focus is You”. Our goal is to serve all of our members, and to serve them well. We will always recognize the rights of members because they are the owners of the credit union.
A GROWING CREDIT UNION
December 31, 1931
First Year of Operation
January 1, 1956
25th Year of Operation
January 1, 1981
50th Year of Operation
January 1, 2006
75th Year of Operation
January 1, 2015
85th Year of Operation