- Lock the device with a password or personal identification number (PIN).
- Keep your password information safe and use strong passwords for all apps on your mobile device.
SYSTEM SETTINGS, DOWNLOADS AND SOFTWARE
- Install a mobile security app and update security patches.
- Keep your system updated by installing updates. These often include security upgrades. So, when prompted, update your system, keeping you more secure and your device functional.
- Log out of banking and shopping sites. It is a best practice to manually log out instead of closing the browser. Also, you should bank or shop with a mobile device on a secure Wi-Fi connection, not a public connection.
- Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth services when not in use. Cybercriminals look for unsecured devices using those signals.
- Back up your data. If your device is lost or damaged, you could lose it all. You can either back up the data to a hard drive or the cloud. Apple iTunes has options for iOS-powered devices, while some have utilities built in.
- Do not hack (jail-break) your device. Hacking a device to free it from provider limitation can leave the device more vulnerable.
- Avoid sending personal information by text or email. Instead of replying with any personal information, respond offline by contacting the business to confirm its authenticity.
MOBILE DEVICE SECURITY
- Do not leave your device unattended in public places.
- Use the lock function on your device and frequently change the password.
- Do not store financial information on your mobile device.
IDENTITY THEFT QUICK LINKS